Sunday, September 14, 2008

How To Find A Therapist

So, now what?

I've decided to seek out a therapist, but there are about 3 billion to choose from. What should I be looking for and how will I know what is right?

I don't have insurance, so I am paying out of pocket. I've heard from friends that most therapists work on a sliding scale and are willing to work with you. I have also heard about several mental health clinics and schools in the city that provide services at reduced fees.

If you have insurance it seem that it is best to get the long list of providers from your insurance company - this might involve a phone call. If you have insurance through work, you might want to ask the person handling the benefits these questions. I'd think it would sometimes be uncomfortable to ask friends, coworkers, or acquaintances who they would recommend, but your primary care physician would be a good place to start. I can't imagine going to the same therapist as a friend, but you could ask a friend's therapist for recommendations, as well.

Here are some online search engines for therapists:

Psychology Today Therapist Finder
American Psychological Association Finder
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Finder
Help Starts Here - Social Worker Finder

No comments: