Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What's The Difference?

So, In going through the long list of therapists available to me here in NYC (I think this must be the therapy capital of the world) I discovered quite an array of titles, acronyms and specialties listed with each person's names.

Here is a rundown of who's who and what's what:

Psychiatrist - a physician who specializes in mental health. Because they are medical doctors, psychiatrists can prescribe medication.

- Psychologists have a doctoral degree in psychology (PhD PsyD or EdD) and aside from research, therapy, and counseling they can also do psychological testing.

Clinical Social Worker
- Social Workers have a Master's degree in social work (MSW or CSW) along with additional clinical training. They work towards the prevention and treatment of mental, behavioral, and emotional disorders. LCSW have put in extensive postgraduate hours in a clinal setting.

- the truth is anyone can use this title, but most have studied at an accredited Psychoanalytic Institute after receiving an advanced degree in Social Work, Psychiatry or Psychology.

Marriage and Family Therapist
- have a Master's degree and clinical experience in marriage and family therapy

- have received specialized training or an advanced degree and deal with specific problems such as career goals or alcohol and drug addiction.

Psychiatric Nurse
- a registered nurse who has recieved specialized training in the treatment of people with mental disorders and distress.

1 comment:

drug detox said...

Counselors are a great assistance to clients of drug rehab and treatments centers. They can contribute to the well-being of the client. Furthermore, they can provide motivation so that the client can gain their confidence back and outlook in life.