Friday, September 19, 2008

I Picked Up The Phone

So after doing some brief research on what type of therapy is available to me (a somewhat broke uninsured new yorker) I have set up an appointment with a mental health clinic that takes on patients on a sliding scale. I was referred to the clinic by a friend who was referred there by his therapist. He never went, but after finding their site on the internet it seems that their mission and overall specialization fit with what I am looking for.

"_______________, how can I help you?" says them.
"Hi, I was calling to find out about seeing a therapist or um..." says me.
"Hold, please."

Another woman picked up and told me the process. She took down some basic info and told me to fax in tax records, a bank statement, and some basic personal information. For uninsured patients the sliding scale was $50-100. Intake was $50 and seeing a psychiatrist would be $65 per session if I was interested in getting medication.

After I faxed my info, today they called back to tell me that I was eligible to receive the low end of the sliding scale (yeah, broke). They set up my intake appointment for Monday.

What's an intake appointment?!!!?

No comments: